Update JPEG support
This bounty aims to update RISC OS to support the latest JPEG Formats (JPEG SWI’s). RISC OS currently supports JPEG (JFIF) files based on the IJG4 JPEG reference. This means that RISC OS is unable to directly make use of files that include the following features:
- Progressive / Interlaced
- Arithmetic Coded
- Lossless v9 files
- Adobe CMYK files
The work below is an example of the sorts of development we’d like to see from this bounty, however we would be happy to discuss and agree a more specific plan and scope of work with anyone who wants to claim this bounty.
- Modify SpriteExtend so that the implantation of newer JPEG specs is much simpler in future
- Update SpriteExtend to support either the IJG8-Turbo or the IJG9a JPEG Reference
- This would fix by implication bug no 349.
- Update SpriteExtend so that the user can chose the IJG (8T or 9a) implementation as a system setting/dynamically by file decoding
- Support NEON/SIMD instruction on ARM Cortex A8+ cores for optimal performance (select module during boot/automatic)
- Update other JPEG-related binaries, e.g. jpegtran in !ChangeFSI to match
More information about the bounty scheme
Bounty scheme discussion forum