Desktop Development Environment
About the DDEThe Desktop Development Environment (DDE) is an essential suite of tools required to build RISC OS. It dates back to the days when Acorn developed RISC OS and is derived from the in-house development tools used there. As such, there are still strong ties between the RISC OS source code and the DDE. It includes a number of useful tools including:
- C compiler optimised to producing efficient ARM code
- ARM assembler - more powerful and advanced than any current Open Source ARM assembler
- Makefile utility
- Desktop debugger
- GUI resource file editor
- Object compression/decompression tools
- Intelligent ARM disassembler
- ARM Cortex A8 instruction timing simulator
- Licence to use tools and libraries for commercial products.
- Requires RISC OS 3.5 and above.
- Suitable for running on and producing both 26 & 32 bit versions of RISC OS
- Comprehensive documentation
- Updated C compiler (including support for C99)
- Updated manuals
- Produces faster run-time code
- Major and minor bug fixes
- Extended compiler features (instruction scheduling, inline assembler, etc.)
- Reorganised for CD or USB distribution and ease of installation and use
Free and Half-Price ROOL DDE CD
Have you have purchased your copy of the ROOL Desktop Development Environment (DDE) or paid for an upgrade in the last six months? If so, you are eligible for some special offers:
1. Free DDE download
You can download a free upgrade (in zip format) from the ROOL site. Simply send us an email quoting "Free DDE download", your name and your Developer Key. ROOL will then point you towards a custom zip file download. Your unique zip archive will be hosted on the ROOL site for a period of one week.
2. Half-price USB Stick
If you would prefer to get the latest DDE on a FAT formatted USB stick, this can be supplied at the new, lower half price of £20 plus VAT, P&P. Send us an email stating "USB DDE offer", your name and your Developer Key.
The offers above only apply to those who have purchased the ROOL DDE or a paid-for ROOL DDE upgrade within six months of the date of sending of the special offer request email. Please allow up to five working days to process your request.
3. Half-price DDE download
If you have purchased the DDE from RISC OS Open at any time in the past, you can buy the latest upgrade as a zip file download at half price £20 plus VAT. Simply send us an email quoting "Half-price DDE download", your name and your Developer Key. We will verify that you qualify for this offer and reply with a link to a page where you can make your payment. Please allow up to five working days to process your request.
Official ROOL DDE USB stick for £40 plus VAT, P&P
Finally, if you don’t already own the ROOL DDE but want a copy, you can buy it directly from the ROOL store for £40 plus VAT, P&P. We will send you the USB stick and add you to our database of registered developers.
Please note: The DDE is supplied in FAT format so it does not require a RISC OS machine to read it. You can still request a downloadable (zip compressed image) version of the DDE, alongside the USB stick.